Diabetes is a condition that has afflicted about 6 percent of the world population, as per the WHO report. According to a new study, published in the journal Lancet, diabetes would affect more than 98 million Indians by the year 2030. While it is an irreversible condition, the good part is that one can still prevent or manage it by certain dietary changes. A typical Indian meal comprises rice, sabzi and roti, and while rice can still be replaced with a healthier alternative, removing roti completely from our diet can be challenging. Instead of that, we can make our rotis/parathas diabetic-friendly too!
Parathas are a yummy and wholesome treat that is often eaten for lunch and even breakfast across Indian homes. And besides being scrumptious, parathas are also versatile in a way that one can stuff them with anything and everything! From crunchy veggies, meats to even dals, you can make a stuffing out of a variety of delicious options! And you can add some healthy ingredients to your parathas to make them healthy and diabetic-friendly.
Methi (or fenugreek seeds), for instance, is known to have certain anti-diabetic properties. According to various health studies, methi is perhaps the only food with an unusual amino acid called 4HO-Ile that has possible anti-diabetic qualities such as enhancing insulin secretion and increasing insulin sensitivity. We have a paratha recipe that besides managing diabetes is also brimming with nutrients such as protein and fibre.
Urad Dal-Methi Paratha For Diabetes
Urad dal-methi paratha has the goodness of protein-rich urad dal that may also help in managing blood sugar levels. Urad dal is also rich in fibre and helps in regulating the amount of nutrients that are absorbed by the digestive tract. It helps you to maintain your sugar and glucose levels, managing the blood sugar levels better. The combination of urad dal and methi makes this paratha a perfect one for those with diabetes. Not only is it wholesome and nutrient-rich, but also a yummy option to try for e delectable meal.
Here is how to make urad dal-methi paratha at home:
Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
Water- as needed in dough
Urad dal (cooked)- 1/2 cup
Meth seeds (soaked)- 3 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Green chillies- 1 (chopped)
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Oil- for cooking
1. Knead dough by mixing flour and water as needed.
2. To make the stuffing, mix together rest of the ingredients.
3. Now divide the dough into equal portions and shape them into balls. Dust each ball in a little dry flour and roll into a small poori.
4. Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre, bring the edges together and seal. Shape into a ball, press lightly, dust in little dry flour and roll into a parantha.
5. Now heat a tawa, drop as little oil as you can. Place the parantha on the tawa and cook until the parantha turns golden brown from both sides.
6. Repeat with each portion and serve hot with curd or pickle or your favourite chutney.